Otaku are a technological breed and the iPad lends itself well to video with its almost 10 inch screen. As such, it’s the perfect portable tool for watching anime online, either by downloading them and viewing them or streaming them live via 3G or wifi.
- Anime Network – The ADV started on demand network is also available on the iPad and iPhone to watch over 100 series.
- Anime Nano – Get the latest info on all your favorite anime series straight from Japan.
- Anime Radio – While not showing anime directly, this will let you listen to Anime music, J-Pop, J-Rock and more on your iPad or iPhone.
- AnimeTunes Vol. 1 HD – Watch short animated films with this app.
- Appleseed Special Edition – The film based on the classic works of Masamune Shiro is available in a stand alone app that downloads to the iPad to be watched at any time or place.
- Crunchyroll – Showing some of the most recent anime and Japanese drama plus some older favorites, including Mobile Suit Gundam, Captain Harlock and Naruto, with subtitles.
- Manga DL – Find, download and read from your choice of thousands of manga titles.
- Netflix – The leading streaming video site has recently added a large quantity of anime to its streaming services, and if they don’t have it to instant stream, the disc can be rented in the mail.
- VLC Media Player – If you like to download your anime, rather than converting your videos and putting them in iTunes, you can use VLC to play them. It plays most popular video formats, including mp4, mov, avi, mkv, wmv, divx, xvid, mpg and more.
The iPad is a great video player with a large, crisp screen that really allows you to get the most out of your anime viewing. Many of these apps will also work with the iPhone and iPod Touch, so you can get your anime on the go.